A "day off"? What IS that?
My husband has 2 "days off" a week. When the baby was born, he soon realized that terminology only meant "working without pay."As soon as he wakes up, I'm texting him to come play with Bailey so I can nap. Is this fair? I'm not sure. It sure feels like it at 6am when my daughter doesn't understand the time change. I figure that he got to sleep while I was up feeding her for an hour before that, so yeah. I "deserve" a break. (I might add that he sleeps in another room and always has...snoring, etc. It works much better for everyone!)
When does he get his well-deserved break? In my mind, as soon as he gets to work. I now look at work as a break from reality, a chance to use one's mind, to make a difference in the world (no matter how small), to keep the "system" running and really earn your money. To him, a break is when he gets home from work, no customers, no vendors, no employees to babysit, no paperwork to do. Instead he gets a list of cleaning jobs, bills to pay, and usually gets handed a fussy/almost fussy baby upon arrival. Fair? The term is all relative.
Tonight after dinner, I suggested putting off Bailey's bath. Usual time is around 7:30, because of the time change we were ready by 6:30. Soooo...maybe I could use this time to take a "break"? My husband agreed to play with her while I.... While I what? I imagined the possibilities: take a bath? Too much work. Cleaned? That's not relaxing. Read? Tooooo relaxing! What would I really want to do given the opportunity? I went back to the computer. Like I do all day. But this time I had 2 hands to type.
The little things are amazing. I am online during her naps while she nurses, but I can only type with one hand, so I don't do any blogging or emails. THIS was my chance. Now what shall I write about? Oh yeah...this is what blogging is all about for me. Writing about the moments that I feel. I guess I'll write about having a break...I got halfway through this post before my husband came back with a fussy baby asking me to kiss her head because she bonked it when she fell over from sitting. I did, then he asked me to pick his raspberries on Farmville for him.
I would love to.
Was this a break? Yes. And I loved every second of it. Especially when I got to kiss a boo boo and play on a farm. I found my answer to the question "What will I do on my break?"
I will use 2 hands. That's as simple as it gets sometimes.
Sunday, November 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment